Easy fixes for big wins
Your readers know you from your site. They make their decisions based on how you present yourself during their experiences there. The moments where you directly interact with them inform how far they support your publication.
Which is where Easy ways to level up your website to build paid subscriptions (Part 1) comes in. This short installment of the Paywall Podcast is chock-full of actionable information for improving the reader experience. Part one of three on making the most of your website, the episode takes you through optimizing your touchpoints.
- Do a walkthrough of your site like a new user, starting from an article page.
- Check your touchpoints – the decision-making moments for your reader, the moments when you have direct contact.
- Make note of your page speed, free registration nag, registration page, welcome email, paid subscription nag, subscription page, payment page, paid welcome email.
- Be sure you’re customizing your copy beyond the default – make it simple, but clear.
- Don’t use the registration process to upsell – save that for the emails.
- After registering, take them back to the article they were reading, rather than a thank you page.
- A welcome email is the perfect place to say thanks, to tell them about your mission, to offer coupons and upgrades.
- Make sure your messaging matches from free registration to paid subscription.
- For subscription cards, three is the magic number. More makes decisions more difficult for the reader.
- Keep your payment process simple, frictionless.
- Pay attention to your pop-ups. Don’t let them interrupt the registrations/subscription process.
Did you miss an episode?
Our past episodes answer common publisher questions, provide explanations on making the most of your paywall, show off how other unique publishers have found success, profile the growth of a successful publication, and provide a wealth of tactics for growing your subscriptions:
- Why have a paywall?
- How to set up your paywall to convert more paying subscribers,
- 6 examples of successful publication & product launches,
- An interview with Street Photography Magazine,
- How to generate more paid subscriptions with promotions,
- An interview with Greg Wolfe on magazine renewals and gift subscription strategies,
- An interview with Todd Moen of Catch Magazine,
- Local news publishers: subscriptions v. memberships v. donations,
- Exciting things we’ve been working on,
- An interview with Wally Wallace of 50Fish on social media
- Paid subscriptions and virtual conferences with Hal Niedzviecki of Broken Pencil Magazine
- An interview with Greg Grisolano of Land Line Media.
Stay tuned for the next episode of the Paywall Podcast, available on iTunes, Spotify, Stitcher, Google Podcasts, and Pandora.